by Derek Sims
8109 S. Wabash
Home: (773) 966-5716 Cell: (773) 426-8352
Email: dsims999( at )yahoo.com
Derek is a poet from Chicago. Currently working on a several other projects such as plays and essays. Looking to expand my writing network and gain more experience in playwrighting.
Objective: A Public Relations and/or Marketing position that will expand my knowledge of the profession and allow for me to utilize the skills I've acquired in college. Your organization will allow me to gain invaluable experience and become an indispensable employee at your corporation.
Education Bachelor of Science, Public Relations
Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, Carbondale, IL. 62901
- Major: Public Relations
- Minor: English
Related course work: Speech writing, journalism and mass media writing, public speaking, public relations in practice, interpersonal communication, copywriting, graphic design and persuasion.
Graduated December 2007
Salary Expectations: $39,500/ annually
Marketing Consultant, TTC Marketing, Director of Marketing, Rashod Holmes 3945 N.
Neenah Chicago, Il. 60040 (708) 250-9856 (May 2008- March 2009)
- Lead Generation and use Microsoft Excel to create databases for future clients
- Inbound/outbound calling to business to business clients
- Created advertising materials for various programs such as brochures, banners and business cards. Customer service skills such as conflict resolution
Production Assistant, Know Your Heritage, Latrisa Jackson Central City Productions 212 E. Ohio St. Ste 300 Chicago, IL. 60601(312) 654-1100(April 2008- December 2008 Responsibilities included:
- Act as a liaison between stage manager and guests on at the event.
- Ensure the proper function of audio/visual equipment such as microphones, scoring equipment, etc.
- Exceed sales goals for months of June, September and December 2008.
- Led numerous bake sales to assist in funding various events in PRSSA, OOPS! Entertainment.
- Organized and implemented advertising promotions for events such as flyers, blogs on email websites such as myspace, facebook, etc.
- Presented weekly proposals and budget for PRSSA.
- Corresponded with chapter members on progress of fundraisers.
- Served as a Treasurer for OOPS! Entertainment for two years and accumulated revenue for play productions, literary magazines, etc.
- Coordinated and portrayed in the plays: Before it Hits Home and Deception.
- Organized numerous events such as comedy shows, poetry sets, and freestyle competitions for Underground Arts.
Vida Publicity and Events
Public Relations Intern, (June 2006- August 2006)
Provided in-depth marketing analysis for a wide range of industries such as the food service, club entertainment, radio, and music industry. Assisted in roundtable brainstorming sessions on various marketing strategies implemented toward numerous demographics. Highlights included:
- Writing press releases for upcoming events.
- Created databases using Microsoft Excel for future clients.
- Assisted in organizing a press conference for a local artist signing to Arista recording label.